Montag, 24. Februar 2014

How I found my way to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints





Life with God is everything. But without God everything is nothing.


Today, I want to describe my way to God.

I was born in 1984 in northern Germany. My mother is seller by trade and my father locksmith. We never had much money, but enough to live on. I am the first born of four children. We had a wonderful childhood. I remember the pranks we played and the places where we spent our time. I remember that I climbed on old dilapidated houses. (My mother does not know of these things to this day.)

My way to God started when I was eight years old.
At this time I did not know of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I did not know any other church. We children were not strictly educated in the christian faith. But my mother always told us that there is a good force in the universe and also an evil one. I had my first encounter with God in the winter of 1992/93. At that time I was slithering around on the ice in the city park. While I was slithering, I looked the snow-covered landscape. I became aware of a presence that exceeded all feeling and experience, which I had previously experienced. I knew in that moment that God exists. I also knew that I would find him one day. I really knew it at that moment. I kept this experience for myself. I told no one of that experience, not even my parents.

I grew up, became taller, and thought more and more about my place as a human being on this earth. I asked myself the questions: Where do I come from? Why am I here? Where do I go when I die? I answered these questions to myself with science when I was 14. Back then, I thought that science could give me enough knowledge in this matter. I no longer believed in the miraculous stories from my mother about a God in the universe. No, this could not be the answer. Science alone held the key to answering my questions. Although I thought, on the one hand, that I was the accidental product of the Big Bang, on the other hand, I started to read and search in popular science literature. Was I perhaps not so convinced of the model of random product? The topics were astrophysics and Einstein's special and general theory of relativity. One of my favorite books was "The short illustrated history of time" by Stephen Hawking. I read every night for several hours in these books. My mathematical understanding and my understanding of space and time grew. I read für several months in these books. My mother, who became aware of this conspicuous behavior, said to me one evening this or words to that effect: "People who explore the nature and the cosmos, are always searching for God." She was right. But at that time I discounted her words as superstitious drivel.

During this period of my research I went to high school, which was right next to my living place. One day there were representatives of Gideons International outside the schoolyard and distributed little green Bibles that included the New Testament and the Psalms and Proverbs. For some reason I got two of these Bibles. After school, I was on the road with my two buddies - I never had many friends, but all the more enemies, classmates, who teased and mopped me. So it was after school on this day when I had problems with a classmate. It seemed that the only thing possible at that time, was to pelt him with my Bible - after all, I had two of them. I did that. I hit him right on his head. I wanted to reach for my second Bible, but for some reason I had the feeling to keep it. As fast as I could, I ran away from my angry classmate, who has just been smitten by the word of God. He even got a scratch on his face. Yes, the Word of God is powerful and mighty, "sharper than a two-edged sword, to the dividing asunder of both joints and marrow" (Doctrine and Covenants 6:2)1. ;)

The other Bible found its place in my bookshelf at home. Few months later, I thought again about my questions, and realized that there were laws in the universe without which life would not be possible. The smallest minimal deviation at the beginning of the creation of the universe, and life would not have developed on Earth. Life that is self-conscious and that could ask questions that would give quite a headache. Questions that people have always asked: Where did I come from? Why am I here? Where do I go when I die? I realized that the probability of such a development of the life is almost zero. I also realized that the scientific knowledge would seem to never reach the ontological grounding of the why-question. So why am I? Why can I ask questions about my existence and my raison d'être? Is there perhaps a supreme being that created everything? In this moment of pondering, I was again seized with a similar feeling that I had when I was 8 years old. I clearly heard a voice inside of me, "Read your Bible! Read!" I was shocked. I did not know how to classify this experience. Was I crazy to the point that I was hearing voices? Why was I having this overwhelming feeling to read in a book that is full of superstitions? How could I ever find an answer to my questions in this book?

Although I was so shocked, I could not deny that voice. I had heard it. And I could not deny the feeling that came with this inspiration also. So I changed my evening reading. Instead of reading books on the origin of the universe, I was now reading about the origins of the Christian faith. I read in the New Testament about a man named Jesus, who received the sovereign title 'Christ'. I read of his work, I read his parables, his miracles. I read every night. I had a strange feeling in the hours in which I read in the Bible. I progressed in my reading only very slowly. For the language of that translation was peculiar - after all, it was the german Luther translation of the Bible. And I wanted to understand what I was reading.

While I was reading, I felt the desire to pray. I remembered the Lord's Prayer. I also knew that Christians pray the Lord's Prayer. So I prayed every night that prayer. And again this strange feeling was there. I suddenly noticed that I was no longer alone in my room. Although I have nit seen anyone in my room, I knew that somebody was there. I felt the presence of a being. And I felt peace and joy whenever prayed the Lord's Prayer.

A half year later I had almost finished reading the New Testament. At that time my mom met two missionaries. This was in February 2001. She told me of her encounter with two young men who were sent by their church here in our city. They were called Elder W. and C. Elder ('Elder' is on the one hand the name of an office in the Melchizedek Priesthood. On the other it is also a title for those who are called to be missionaries in the LDS church). They invited my mother to come to church on Sunday, and gave her a brochure about the First Vision of Joseph Smith. For some reason I immediately wanted to read in this brochure. And so that's what we did. I read aloud what was written in it. We read the words of a man who was in his early teenage years in search of God. When I read that, I felt the Holy Spirit - I had noticed in the meantime that this strange sense of peace and joy that penetrated my heart into its deepest depths, and the voice which I had heard, probably came from God, and that Christians refer to this phenomenon as the Holy Spirit.

I saw in Joseph Smith a young man who was about my age, and who was on the search for God just as I was. My mother had heard at some point enough from that brochure. But I continued reading in it. I read about his experience with God, and that he had been attacked by an unseen force of evil, before he was allowed to see God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ. I read of his calling as a prophet and apostle. I read from the restoration of the two priesthoods. I read about the restoration of the Church of God through his chosen prophet Joseph Smith. Also I read about the coming forth of the Book of Mormon. That really interested me very much. Another scripture comparable to the Bible, and like the Bible it gave testimony of the divinity and the sacred mission of Jesus Christ. And when my mother told me, that there was a church here in Greifswald, and that there would be a church service on the upcoming Sunday, I wanted, no, I had to go. I was so excited to see what kind of church the lds church, a church with such a founder, a church in which there are visions, revelations and miracles. There I had to go.

So my mother and I went on Sunday to the church. Both Elders were waiting outside expecting my mother. I believe that even they were surprised that my mother really came. How often do you invite people on the street to come to church, and how rarely is that the invitation followed? They seemed to be even more surprised that my mother did not come alone. We went into the church and attended their worship service. I do not remember what was said there, who prayed, who presided there in the meeting, or what songs were sung. But I can remember the feeling I had when I sat there and partook of the Lord's supper (called the sacrament in the LDS church). We were served bread and water (instead of wine). I thought that was a bit weird, but at this moment I received my second witness of this church. Although I was not baptized (so I was not a member of their church that had made a covenant with God) the Lord's Supper was something very special. When I took it, I was again filled with the Holy Spirit so strongly this time that I knew that there was something special about this church and its message of the First Vision of Joseph Smith. The feelings that I had while listening to the speeches or testimonies - I really do not know, what was said - were not an imagination, and above all not wishful thinking. Because I never had the desire to join a church.

"Yes, we can meet and talk about your faith, but I will not be baptized!" This was my answer on the following Sunday when was asked by one of the Elders, if I wanted to be taught by them. I received a copy of the Book of Mormon. We met once a week to talk about the restoration, the plan of our eternal existence and the commandments. I can still remember that the teachings at that time were different than they are today. At that time there was not the missionary guide "Preach My Gospel". There were small booklet entitled "Discussion". Of these books, there were various different topics. They included principles and teachings, and instructions on how to properly and sincerely bring across the message of the church. They also had little notes telling the missionary what to look for in the reaction of the investigators (this is someone who is interested in the church, and therefore that someone explores/investigates the LDS teachings). Elder W. was so young on his mission that he had no sufficient command of the German language as his missionary companion Elder C., who spoke very good German. Elder W. had to use the "Discussion" booklet with the teachings and read the sentences from it. Unfortunately, he had not noticed that he also read the instructions on what to look for in the reaction of the investigators. That was funny, but it discounted neither the message nor his testimony. When he and his colleague spoke, I felt the Holy Spirit. In their clumsy words they could still testify with might. We had good times with Christ in our midst.

I attended the church services regularly. I even got a church calling before I was baptized. At that time there was no piano player in our small congregation of believers. But since my 15th birthday I had taken piano lessons. So I was able to assist the worship service with music on the small, simple e-piano. I enjoyed being a part of that little community. I received several personal testimonies that the church is true, but still I did not want to be baptized.

The missionaries then told me in a meeting that they have told me all what I needed to know about the Church in order to gain my own testimony. The only thing that would be left is to ask God. Stubborn as I was, and to some extent I still am stubborn, I resisted against God. But when the missionaries have told me that I needed to pray, I knew they were right. So in the evening of that same day I prayed in my room. I called upon God, and expressed the desires of my heart. I wanted to know if he was really there, if his son Jesus Christ had really accomplished the Atonement, if the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints really was his church and if it is the only true church on this earth. I wanted to know if the Book of Mormon was actually written by Mormon and the prophets of old, which book Joseph Smith then translated by the power of God, or whether this book was just a cheaper but theologically successful novel. That evening, I overcame my pride and got the answer. I noticed a presence in my room. I was scared. But when a voice spoke to me, I felt peace and joy penetrating deep into my soul. I heard the words: "Be baptized! It is all true!" This evening changed my life. That night I covenanted with God.

I told the Elders from my experience. We rejoiced even more. We planned the baptism. I then was interviewed to see if I really repented and if I really wanted to enter into a covenant with God by baptism. On the day of my baptism, while I was on the way to the place of my baptism, Satan did his part in planting the seed of doubt about the truthfulness of the gospel. I began to doubt, but that experience with God at that one evening gave me strength. I was baptized by Elder C.. He even managed to recite the baptismal prayer wrong. Thus the baptismal prayer and the immersion had to be done again in the proper way to be of full value. When I stepped out of the water, I realized that my sins were washed away. I felt free, my conscience was clear before God and man. This feeling lasted a whole week. The week after next, I received the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands. I also received the Aaronic Priesthood and was ordained in the office of priest. Since then I have remained active in the church to this day.

Over time, I have received various church callings. I was responsible for the music in the community, I was a Sunday school teacher, I held a calling in the local church leadership, I was a missionary for two years in the South of France. After that I was again called in the local church leadership. The church callings and my mission have taught me a lot. Of course, I had a crisis of faith when I had doubts about the Church's message. Doubts are normal. Doubts help us if we keep an open heart. It can strengthen the faith. After a crisis of faith, we can emerge stronger and help others who have doubts about God and his church or who are on the path that leads to God.

I love my God and I know that he is really there. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ the only church on earth that preaches and administers the same gospel with all its teachings, priesthood powers and holy ordinances like the gospel which was preached and administered at the time when Jesus walked the face of the earth. God has really spoken to a 14-year-old boy. He has spoken to me, and he has certainly spoken to all other members of this church. God is there. There are miracles. The Bible is true. The Book of Mormon is true. And the other Scriptures, which are given to the Church of God are true.

I invite each one of you to ponder, to think critically and to ask God with an open heart. In the Bible it states: "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." (James 1:5.)2 And Moroni, the last writer in the Book of Mormon, who knows that the record of his father, Mormon and his own records and enclosed records (which is together the Book of Mormon) are true, i.e. full of truth of the gospel of God, writes: "3Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts. 4And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost. 5And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may aknow the btruth of all things."(Moroni 10:3-5.)3

I have prayed and thus found God. For this I am eternally grateful.


______________________________
1The Doctrine and Covenants of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Containing Revelations Given to Joseph Smith, the Prophet with Some Additions by His Successors in the Presidency of the Church. 2013 Intellectual Reserve, Inc. https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament?lang=eng, 2014-02-23.

2Authorized King James Version. Published by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints: 2013 Salt Lake City, Utah, USA. https://www.lds.org/scriptures/ot?lang=eng, 2014-02-23.


3The Church of Jesus Christ of Later-day Saints (Ed.): The Book of Mormon. An Account Written by the Hand of Mormon upon Plates Taken from the Plates of Nephi. Translated from the original Plates by Joseph Smith, Jun. Intellectual Reserve, Inc. https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm?lang=eng, 2014-02-23.

Emphasis in italics added by the author of this blog.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen